Accumulation of excess fat in the chin area gives an appearance of having a double chin. It is also called submental fullness and is undesirable for a few people. Double chin liposuction is one of the easiest and least invasive methods to remove excess fat and contour the chin.
Double Chin LiposuctionOverviewAccumulation of excess fat in the chin area gives an appearance of having a double chin. It is also called submental fullness and is undesirable for a few people. Double chin liposuction is one of the easiest and least invasive methods to remove excess fat and contour the chin.Double chin liposuction may be combined with a submentoplasty. Submentoplasty combines liposuction with smaller incisions under the chin to tighten the muscles and the skin.Individuals who undergo double chin liposuction should be in good overall health andhave good skin elasticity. Double chin liposuction removes fat and gives the chin a smooth appearance.
It is important that individuals undergoing double chin liposuction discuss the procedure with their doctor. Both of them should agree upon realistic goals and expectations, the type of procedure best suited for them, their medical history, and any medication that they are currently taking or allergic to.
Double chin liposuction is performed under local anesthesia, rarely general anesthesia may be required. The doctor marks where the fat is to be removed.Next, the incisions are made through which a small steel cannula is inserted. A gentle backand forth motion is made to break up the fat cells. Vacuum suction is used to removethe fat and smoothen the skin surface.In cases where submentoplasty is being performed, smaller incisions are made to tighten the underlying muscles and cut the loose skin.
Liposuction can be performed using different techniques such as:
- Tumescent liposuction – It is the most common technique used. A sterile solution is injected into the target area to make it swell and stiffen. A cannula is inserted through an incision, and the fat and fluid are suctioned using a vacuum.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction – In this technique, a metal rod is inserted intothe target area which emits ultrasonic energy to break the fat cells.
- Laser-assisted liposuction – A laser fiber is inserted under the skin, and a high-intensity laser is used to break the fat cells.
- Power-assisted liposuction – In this technique, the cannula inserted is moved in a rapid back and forth motion, which helps remove tough fat more easily.
Double chin liposuction is an outpatient procedure and does not require any hospital stay. Individuals undergoing the procedure can go home the same day, but they need someone to drive them home.There is some swelling, discomfort, and bruising for a few days. It takes up to a weekto recover from double chin liposuction and to be able to return to work.One should take all the prescribed medication like painkillers and antibiotics. A chin strap for compression may also be advised.
It is advised to avoid the sun and move the neck as little as possible
Although double chin liposuction is safe, there are certain risks involved, such as:
- Facial asymmetry if the procedure is not done correctly
- Injury to surrounding tissues and structures
- Contour irregularities and skin discoloration
- Fat embolism can cause stroke or heart and lung complications
For Enquiries and Online Appointments
For more detailed information about Double Chin Liposuction, please send us a message today.