Interesting fact: Human beings are unique in the sense that they are the only species among primates who have chins.
Keeping that in mind before we plunge into the matter, who wouldn’t like to see a streamlined face with a perfect jawline when they look in the mirror? According to statistics of American Society for Dermatological Surgery almost 68 percent of people are concerned with their submental fullness or the excess fat that creates a double chin.
What is a Double Chin?
A double chin is a result of the fat storage under the chin near the throat area. Double Chin can be formed due to various reasons like genetic factor, instant weight gain, airway positioning or ageing. Basically, we all have a protein called Elastin stored in our skin cells which helps in maintaining the shape of our skin. Unfortunately, as we age or if we lose or gain our weight suddenly, this Elastin will get affected due to which the skin sags with a certain amount of fat stored in it under the chin area.
How to get rid of Double Chin?
Double Chin can be dealt with non-surgical as well as with surgical procedures. And yes! there are anecdotal evidences that a double chin can be reduced with the help of a proper diet combined with various combinations of facial exercises. However, patients with skin laxity at the submental area would require a surgical correction.
Before trying surgical procedures, one can try some simple facial exercises which may help to strengthen and tone the muscles and skin in the area of your double chin.
- Straight jaw jut:- where you tilt your head back and look toward the ceiling Push your lower jaw forward to feel a stretch under the chin
- Ball exercise:- where you place a 9- to10-inch ball under your chin and press your chin down against the ball
- Pucker up:- where you tilt your head back to look at the ceiling and pucker your lips up stretching the skin beneath your chin
- Tongue Stretch:- where you look straight ahead and stick your tongue out as far as you can and lift your tongue upwards and towards your nose
- Neck Stretch: where you tilt your head back and look at the ceiling and press your tongue against the roof of your mouth.
- Bottom Jaw Jut:- where you tilt your head back and look at the ceiling and turn your head to the right and slide your bottom jaw forward .
Repeating each of these exercises 10-15 times daily helps you to yield results. Do not forget to follow a healthy diet if your double chin is due to a sudden weight gain. Primarily, take care to avoid fried foods, and also reduce your sugar intake.
While all the exercises mentioned above may or may not yield results (It depends on your genetic makeup, intensity of the facial workout etc.) Surgical methods are sure to deliver you with an amazing facial transformation. Double chin surgery is based on your age, skin quality and desired effects. It can effectively correct a double chin and a sagging skin on the neck.
Who are eligible to undergo a Double Chin surgery?
- Those people who has excessive amount of fat in the neck and chin area.
- Aged people who has wrinkles developing around.
- Those who lack a jawline due to excess skin tissue.
Popularly known as liposculpture, helps in removing the fat and contouring the chin area. It treats only the fat and doesn’t effect the skin tone to great extent. Therefore people with minimal skin laxity can benefit most with liposuction alone. This procedure is done with local anaesthesia and is done with a liposuction cannula which is moved back and forth with a fanning motion to remove excess fat. Fat is removed from each area to ensure a contoured facial outlook.
It is a minimally invasive procedure where fat-dissolving compounds are injected in minimal quantities through injections in the chin area. Kybella or deoxycholic acid which can absorb body fat is injected to dissolve the fat under the skin area. It requires multiple treatment sessions to get done. It is a good option for those people who do not have a sagging skin under the neck as it deals only with the excess fat deposits. The results for mesotherapy is permanent as the fat cells are destroyed forever.
It combines chin liposuction with small incisions in the chin area in order to tighten the muscles thus giving a chiselled look. The Platysma(neck muscle) is tightened to render a toned and perfectly chiselled neck.
- Neck Lift Surgery
Also known as lower rhytidectomy and it is process in which the neck skin muscles are targeted and tightened. Compared to submentoplasty skin are also removed from the neck. The skin incisions are closed with glue or sutures and is not a concern as it is well hidden.
How to prepare yourself for the chin lift surgery?
- Take care to have a realistic expectations for your results and recovery.
- Expect to have some swelling and discomfort(for the time being!) following the procedure as an aftermath of the surgery.
- Get your leaves sanctioned for a few days and also avoid getting into the sun for a few days after the surgery.
Advantages of Double Chin Treatment
- Boosts your confidence by giving you a perfectly chiselled chin and neck area.
- Defy your age with this total facial makeover.
- Great boon to those who have double chin due to genetic reasons.
Efficacy of the Double Chin Treatment
The effects of the treatment will be permanent if the person maintains a consistent weight after the surgery.
Now you know all the sides of a double chin treatment. Step up the game and get rid of your double chin in a matter of days.
You are always beautiful!
For Enquiries and Online Appointments
For more detailed information about Double Chin Treatment, please send us a message today.