1) How long does a breast lift last?
- On average, breast lift lasts for 10 to 15 years. In some cases, a breast lift may last well over 15 years without any hassles, while for some, it may require minor alterations.
- The skin naturally loses its elasticity and starts sagging with age. This is more severe in individuals who have larger, heavier breasts. So, the results have been comparatively short-lived in individuals with larger breasts.
- Maintaining a healthy, stable weight helps retain the effects of a breast lift for longer.
2) Is breast lift painful?
- The breast lift procedure itself is not painful as it is done under anaesthesia. There is some swelling and bruising for about 2 weeks after the procedure. There might be pain and soreness around the incisions for a few days. The doctor would usually prescribe painkillers to ease the pain and discomfort.
- There is numbness in the nipples, areola, and breast skin, which might last for about 6 weeks.
- One should reach out to their doctor if there is any sharp pain, or if the pain worsens with time.
3) Will a breast lift reduce cup size?
- Breast lift as such need not reduce the breast size ,it mainly relocates the areola nipple to a lifted position. Depending on patients expectation and clinical assessment the breast lift can be combined with reduction or augmentation .
- One should always discuss these issues with their doctor before undergoing the procedure. One might want to discuss undergoing breast reduction or augmentation surgery in combination with a breast lift.
4) Is a breast lift safer than implants?
- Breast lift and breast implants are both completely safe procedure,they address different breast concerns .Breast lift deals with sagging breasts whereas breast implants are mainly used to increase the size of breasts. One can achieve minimal breast lift using implants.
5) What happens in a breast lift surgery?
- A breast lift procedure is done to change the shape of the breasts. The excess skin and breast tissue are removed while the remaining tissue is reshaped to raise the breast.
- It is performed under anaesthesia. Mostly, general anaesthesia
- There are three techniques to perform this procedure, depending on what the desired outcome is:
Around the areolas.
Extending downward from the areolae to the breast creases.
Horizontally along the breast creases.
- The breast tissue is reshaped and the size of the areola is reduced (if needed). The excess skin is removed, and the nipples are raised higher.
- The incisions are sutured, and a surgical dressing, surgical tape, or skin adhesive is placed. Small surgical drains may be placed. It is advised to wear a surgical support bra.
- The incisions and the resulting scars are permanent although they fade over time.
6) How long does it take to recover from a breast lift surgery?
- Recovery from breast lift surgery takes a few days. One can return to work 3 to 7 days after the procedure.
- There is swelling and bruising for 2 weeks, which is normal and expected. There is numbness in the nipples, areola, and breast region for about 6 weeks.
- If removable sutures are placed, they need to be removed one to two weeks after the procedure.
- Any strenuous activity should be avoided for 4 week, including sex.
- It is advised to wear a surgical support bra round-the-clock for three to four days. Sutures should be protected from the sun.
7) What are the risks and complications of a breast lift?
- There are risks involved with a breast lift which are minimised when dine by a trained board-certified plastic surgeon.One should ensure that they are aware of these before undergoing a breast lift.
- Scars are permanent and can sometimes get thick and wide instead of fading with time.
- Sensation in the nipple and breast generally returns in a few weeks, but sometimes it might be lost permanently. Erotic sensation is not affected.
- During the unexpected nature of the healing, there might be some irregularity and asymmetry in the shape and size of the breasts.
- If the blood supply to the nipple and areola is disturbed during the procedure, it may lead to partial or complete loss of the nipple and the areola.
- Excess bleeding, infection, and anaesthesia-related risks can also occur.
8) At what age can one undergo a breast lift?
- Anyone over the age of 18 can undergo a breast lift.
- It is reasoned that since breasts continue to grow until 18 years of age, a breast lift performed before that would require more surgeries later.
- It is usually performed after significant weight loss since breast skin is left sagging.
- Another most common reason to perform a breast lift is after pregnancy.
9) Should you lose weight before a breast lift?
- For individuals that are overweight or obese, it is advised that they are within 5-10% of their normal weight before undergoing a breast lift.
- Any significant weight gain or loss after the breast lift is undesirable. This would lead to a noticeable change in breast volume and require revision surgery.
10) Does your stomach look bigger after a breast lift?
- A breast lift procedure does not impact your stomach. But due to a reduction in your breast size and some bloating post-surgery, it may appear that your stomach is bigger.
- This is mostly due to comparative size.
- Severe constipation causes bulging in the bowels and this makes the stomach look bigger than usual.
For Enquiries and Online Appointments
For more detailed information about Breast Lift, please send us a message today.